Trailers as well all know are ordinarily used to transport valuable items for longer distances. They also stay unattended to for quite some time in the course of their journey whenever the drivers are taking a break.
Our Top Pick
Because of these twin issues, they are subjected to the dangers of vandalism, burglaries, and outright robbery.
In light of this, the proprietors, drivers, and other operators of these trailers may want to ensure their safety at all times.
The locks are by far the most significant of these safety pieces of equipment. Being aware of this fact, we have undertaken to carry out relevant research on the issue.
We have identified the 7 Best Trailer Locks of 2018 and reviewed them with the aim of giving you the head-start you require to make that important step.
It is our hope that you will find the whole review beneficial and relevant.
A Quick Look at the Top Trailer Locks
7 Best Trailer Lock Reviews
Precious items like jewelry require extra protection. For you to realize this feat perfectly well, you undoubtedly need an equally tough lock for the job. No other lock guarantees you this better than this one.
Exclusive Design: The overall design of the lock comes in an exclusive 360-degree hardened steel protection. This is purposely set so as to grant extra protection for your unattended-to trailer. This material is unlike no other.
Utmost Reliability: On the whole, the lock is very reliable. This is because it provides your items and trucks instant security in case they are not hooked up to your vehicle. You, therefore, stand to reap some peace of mind by settling for these locks.
Dual-ratchet Lock System: The locking mechanism comes in the form of the dual-ratchet lock system. This provides a 2-in-1 locking layer. This dual mechanism provides you added security and further cushions your trucks and premises from any attempted break-ins.
- Highly Versatile: It can fit several coupler types at a time such as 1-7/8 inches, 2 inches, to 2-5/15 inches.
- Clean: The lock does have a keyhole cover that keeps out dirt.
- Added Aesthetics: Its outer covering comprises an attractive Ballistic-grade Nylon housing which enhances its aesthetics and visual appearance.
- Durable: In all, it mainly consists of durable Fulton heavy-duty casing as its key constituent component.
- Weatherproof: The ballistic-grade nylon housing also protects it against extreme weather elements.
- Complicated: Inexperienced users may find it a bit complicated to master and engage.
- Pricey: It does come at a slightly prohibitive cost.
- Bulky: The lock generally has large dimensions and requires plenty of storage space.
Summary: This lock’s weather-proof and durable qualities make it all the more reliable for safeguarding the valuables mentioned above. This being the case, why don’t you consider acquiring one right away? I swear you will wish you had done so as early as yesterday!
In case you have multiple facilities or installations to lock, you obviously want one lock that can handle all those premises at a time. This is the role that this specific lock is designed to play. It is compatible with several other locks and is thus ‘universal’.
Aluminum Body: Its whole body is made of Aluminum. This metal is light, tough, and very resistant to the elements of wear and tear. This should tell you that you will find the lock on the whole light and easy to engage and maintain.
Heavy-duty Steel Lock Bar: The locking bar is however made of steel. Steel, as we all know is very tough and durable. As the result of this, the lock is generally safer, secure, and very resilient towards break-ins and burglaries.
Ratcheting Design: On the whole, the lock is designed in the form and shape of a ratchet. It does have eleven different locking positions. It also fits 1-7/8 inches, 2 inches, and 2-5/16 inches couplers. It is hence very convenient to use.
- Universal: It can blend and work well alongside other locking equipment.
- Durable: By reason of being manufactured of steel, it is on the whole quite durable.
- Lower Maintenance: All factors considered the lock costs less to maintain.
- Clean: Being resistant to corrosion, it is relatively easier to keep clean.
- Affordable: The lock is cheaper and thus very affordable.
- Not so Reliable: It is not as long lasting as should be the case; it is hence not so reliable.
- Intriguing: Being complicated, you require some mastery of technical skills to operate it successfully.
- Too Thin: This lock is too thin; as such, it is easier to cut through.
Summary: A combination of two factors makes this lock stand out. These are its universal trait and stainless steel construction. They grant you unhindered convenience and long-term reliability respectively. You thus just cannot afford to overlook this lock at all. Why don’t you make an effort of obtaining it as soon as possible?
Long-term storage needs a lock that can endure the test of time. This is because the various parameters that can affect the locks do vary greatly in that timeframe. Only a high-quality, extremely tough, and durable lock like this can guarantee you these traits.
High-Quality Construction: All the high-quality materials have been used to make the lock. These include ducted cast iron 65000, stainless steel, and heat-treated steel. Because of this, expect nothing less than maximum reliability and a high degree of satisfaction.
Added Security: Each lock comes along with a unique key. As such, you cannot use a key to open a lock that is not the one meant for it even if it belongs to the same brand. Your overall security, as well as those of your valuable, are greatly improved by reason of this.
Control and Identification Systems: To further cushion you against unauthorized access, the locks come with a first-of-its-kind control and identification key system. This feature basically scans and ‘vets’ each user before deciding to allow him or not.
- Dependable: It is dependable by reason of combining the dual traits of durability and reliability.
- High-quality: The lock is pretty good at resisting rust and is thus of high quality.
- All-weather: You may use it in all climatic conditions by reason of being all-weather proof.
- Secure: This lock has a feature that can detect an intruder and deny entry.
- Customizable: It can be customized to fit your unique door shape and formulation.
- Exorbitant: The lock is way too pricey and out of the reach of many would-be users.
- Awkward-shape: Its shape is not so appealing and may hence render it difficult to utilize.
- Cumbersome: This lock’s sheer weight and size makes it quite cumbersome to operate.
Summary: Inasmuch as the lock has several downsides, it is on the whole, a worthy purchase indeed. This is because it does have the ‘must have’ traits of toughness and dependability.
It is hence better suited at securing your premises. Now that it is clear that it has all the relevant features, what are you waiting for? Make an effort to acquire it as soon as you can?
Heavy commercial vehicles and maximum security installations require extra care by reasons of being vulnerable to burglaries. This calls for very durable and tough locks. This lock is one such kind; it has all the traits and features that enable you to enjoy these benefits and indeed, so much more!
Stainless Steel Construction: Its whole body features a stainless steel construction. For this reason, the lock is very resistant to common elements of tear like rust, scratches, and corrosions. You may count on it to deliver for long as the result of this.
Durable Design: The lock is also very durable. This is by reason of comprising the Weather Tough® seal and the watertight caps. In light of this, you may count on it to deliver to your expectations for a prolonged duration of time.
Convenient Locking Mechanism: Deliberate efforts have been made by the manufacturer to simplify the locking mechanism. This way, you won’t strain too much while engaging the various faculties. You also stand to enjoy the benefits of saved time and effort.
- Unmatched Simplicity: The lock is on the whole easy-to-install and use.
- Reliable: In all, the key sticks firmly onto the pin once inserted and engaged.
- Waterproof: You may use it in rainy conditions because of its resistance to water damage.
- Multipurpose: This lock may engage a trailer coupler, a receiver lock, and a trailer coupler latch lock at a time.
- Elegant Looks: Its appearance is so appealing and elegant to the natural eye.
- Need for Assembly: It is not fully assembled and as such requires you to assemble it before use.
- Vulnerable to Misplacements: The various constituent components may be dismantled, a fact that makes the lock vulnerable to misplacements.
- Limited Use: This lock may only seal heavy security installations; not your local homes.
Summary: By being water and moisture proof, you should expect this lock not to let you down in case your trucks or installations are located in wet areas.
Its general ease of use makes it even more irresistible. Do your trucks ply wet or snowy areas? Do you have maximum security valuables? If so, why not get hold of this lock right away?
To be certain of the peace of mind you require for the safety of your possessions, you, by all means, require a lock that is as tough and as reliable as possible. A lock of this kind has to be tough and durable enough to withstand all the elements of the tear. This is one such kind of a lock.
Universal Design: It is designed in such a way as to permit it to interface and work seamlessly with most other locking mechanisms. Because of this, it absolves you of any errors, inconsistencies, and mismatches. It also minimizes the inconveniences you may potentially confront in such circumstances.
Heavy-gauge Steel Build: The entire body is built by use of this heavy-gauge steel. It also comes along with a built-in chock. This prevents trailer rollaway and thus offers you more than what you actually pay for. This steel also wears off too slowly to make you run at a loss.
Clamps: To further cushion you against the dangers of insecurity, the lock consists of clamps. These are used to tighten the lock to the respective wheels. They offer an added barrier to any potential fraudster or vandal and are as such, quite beneficial.
- Extra Durability: The lock’s rugged yellow epoxy powder coat finish increases its durability.
- Resistance to Manipulation: This is by reason of embodying pick-resistant lock cylinder and three keys.
- Lifetime Warranty: It does come along with lifetime warranty to safeguard you against any risks.
- Faster Operations: On the whole, you will experience rapid results given that it attaches quickly to any wheel.
- Unmatched Convenience: It is also easier to adjust and is as such very convenient to utilize.
- Limited Use: It is too large and awkwardly-shaped to fit all locks.
- Too Conspicuous: The lock’s yellow appearance is likely to attract unsuspecting unwanted persons.
- Weighty: In all, the lock is a bit too heavy for an ordinary person to lift.
Summary: You do not want to forfeit all the benefits of extra durability, faster operations, and unmatched convenience that this lock has to offer. This is notwithstanding the other side effects it does embody. Please make every effort to have one of it. Do not hesitate to take this potentially beneficial step.
Trailers that are not in transit are more vulnerable to vandalism and burglary than those in transit. This means that the locks that are used to safeguard them at such times should be equally tougher. This is the need that this specific lock is designed to fulfill.
Maximum Protection: In all, this indeed is your best bet for those unattended to trailers. This is because it is pretty tough and very resistant to breakages. Vandals will find it pretty hard to break past them.
Nice Fit: The lock fits nicely into the trailer’s ball socket whereas its solid steel bar wraps the coupler. Because of this compatibility, do not anticipate any mishaps or inconvenience of whichever nature.
Limited 1-year Warranty: To wrap up all the nice features, this lock comes with a 1-year manufacturer warranty. This is designed to shield you from all dangers or inconveniences you may confront in that time-frame.
- Maximum Protection: It offers maximum protection to all installations by reason of being reliable.
- Very Strong: This lock’s stainless steel construction grants it the strength it requires to discharge its roles effectively.
- Versatile: The lock can accommodate two kinds of keys and is thus somewhat versatile.
- Perfect Fitting: It does fit into the trailer ball socket and is as such perfectly located.
- Very Secure: Vandals may find the lock too tough to break into.
- Limited Features: It lacks several other equally important features.
- Quite Heavy: By virtue of weighing 2 pounds (32 ounces), some users may find the lock too heavy.
- Gigantic: The dimensions of the lock are pretty large; this may pose some inconvenience to users.
Summary: The lock’s one-year manufacturer’s warranty and solid steel bars are two key traits that you just don’t want to miss.
That’s because they are the ones that will help you achieve your goal of keeping your valuables safe when your trailer is on standby. To leverage these benefits, please plan to make a purchase soonest possible.
If you are a person who is primarily driven by the need for maximum convenience, you, by all means, require a lock which you can engage with more than one key. Such an arrangement is also necessary to shield you from the worries you may naturally find yourself in whenever you lose your key. This lock is for persons like you.
Universal Trailer Coupler Lock: It is on the whole designed to fit 1-7/8-inch, 2-inch, and most 2-5/16-inch couplers. This ‘universal’ fit is what makes the lock all the more outstanding. It is what assures you of the maximum convenience you require.
Advanced Locking Mechanism: The lock does come along with an advanced locking mechanism. This feature provides resistance to both picking and prying. Because of this, your valuables are accorded extra safety and security from any would-be thief.
Ease of Use: On the whole, this trailer lock is very easy to install and remove. This is by the virtue of possessing a re-keyable cylinder that offers the keyed-alike level of convenience. This again goes a long way in enhancing your degree of satisfaction.
- Wider Applicability: It can lock trailers, vehicles, and recreational vehicles.
- Durable Design: Its steel construction is quite tough and durable.
- Compact Size: In all, the lock is small, light, and compact enough.
- Resistant to Tear: The lock is pretty effective at resisting rust, scratches, and other elements of the tear.
- Easy-to-use: You d not have to possess plenty of muscle power or technical skills to operate it effectively.
- Not so Secure: Compared to most other brands, this lock is not so secure.
- Relatively Obsolete: It does lack several latest features and is as such relatively obsolete.
- Slightly Delicate: Some of its parts are slightly delicate and probe to the risks of dismantling.
Summary: Being convenient and easy-to-use, you, by all means, have to acquire this lock and incorporate it into the standard part of your safety armory.
Moreover, it is also cheaper and quite affordable. It is therefore in your best interest to possess it. Why not do so right away? Please waste no time, as time is indeed of the essence.
The Final Words (Summary)
We do hope that you have found the review above eye-opening. Please note that the list of the Best Trailer Locks is subject to change anytime without notice. This is because the field of the manufacture of locks is a rapidly evolving and highly competitive one.
Moreover, there are several other equally reliable locks that, we have inevitably left out. This is due to the limited time and space that we had at our disposal. We urge you to carry out additional research on your own to find them out.
Having said that, we now ask you one more time to consider purchasing at least one lock reviewed above. Time indeed is of the essence. In case you delay, you may buy it at a higher price or lower quality. Some locks may also run out of stock.