The bark collar is a device that emits electric shock to the neck or any other part of a pet’s body, usually a dog through a remote component. Also called ‘training or shock collars’, the term ‘shock’ seems an exaggeration as the sensation produced is tingling in nature and quite similar compared to static electricity experienced when in initial contact with metallic objects. A research on the best bark collars has noted that bark collar is used primarily to improve obedience and modify the behavior of pets in addition to other capabilities.
Other variations of the bark collar as would produce vibrations, sounds or even emit sprays while some even have GPS capabilities to track missing pets. Tests and studies have shown that these devices are very effective and safe contrary to claims from many pet organizations that have actively campaigned against their use, with some countries out-rightly banning them. It is therefore important for anyone planning to use them on their pets to understand its proper use, benefits, and disadvantages.
A Quick Look at the Top Rated Bark Collars
|Key Feature #1
|Key Feature #2
|Key Feature #3
|Garmin Delta Sports XC
|Range- 3/4 Mile
|Stimulation- 36 levels
|Corrections- 7 Levels
|Dispositions- 6 levels
|Non-electrical bark stimulation
|Corrections- 3 Levels
|Stimulation- 10 levels
|3-6 months battery life per charge
|Corrections- 7 Levels
|Built-in Bark Odometer
|Aetertek Dog Collar
|9 levels of intensity
|Built in no-bark feature
|Automatic safety shutoff
|10 levels of stimulation
|Naturepets No Bark Collar
|Corrections- 7 Levels
|Replaceable 6-volt battery
|Bonus NFC Dog Tag and eBook
|Corrections- 7 Levels
|LED battery indicator
|Fully water proof
|25-30 sprays per refill
|6-volt alkaline battery
|Fits neck sizes up to 24"
7 Best Bark Collars Reviewed
This device which uses Tri-Tronics® technology with 3 button-front controlled easy-to-read LCD screen easily sets a new standard in dog training. Only one hand is required to operate the 3-button handheld unit for vibration, tone and/or stimulation. It has separate side buttons for level adjustment and dog selection. It is programmed to work all dog breeds and coat lengths while remembering an individual dog’s training settings.
The device’s LCD and side buttons allow an easy switch between different logs of dogs being trained and their training configurations. Depending on the model, the device has the ability to control and train 3 dogs simultaneously (additional device required and sold separately) and interchange between them quickly and without hitch. Training options best suited for dog temperament and situation can be selected from the 3 correction and training configurations viewable on the LCD.
The Delta Sport model is fitted with built-in BarkLimiter™ which can differentiate wanted and unwanted barks. This feature helps to eliminate false alarm and overcorrection. The device has a long-lasting lithium-ion battery in dog device and handheld. It has rugged tough built and waterproofed.
This Bark Collar comes in 2 models; Delta and Delta Sport. Basic product features include;
- 3 to 5 training configurations (depending on the model)
- The remote range between 0.5 and 0.75 miles (depending on the model)
- Rechargeable lithium-ion batteries for handheld and dog units
- Built-in bark limiter
- Almost a mile remote range
- Long lasting battery life
- Multi-tasking easy-to-operate handheld
- Multiple training configurations
- Ability to handle up to 3 dogs simultaneously
- Simultaneous multi (3 dogs) training can confuse a new user
Summary: With 3 to 5 training configurations (depending on the model) and a remote range of almost 1 mile (also depending on the model), the Delta seems to have what most dog owners would want from a bark collar. The rechargeable lithium-ion batteries for handheld and dog units could be used for up to 3 months on each charge, lasting longer than most devices. The built-in bark limiter sets the pace for new tech in dog training. It has rugged built and waterproof ensures product survives all weathers.
The DogtraYS300 Dog Collar has the capabilities to take up to 7 levels of configurations for corrections with 6 intensity levels (2-7) to accommodate various dogs’ dispositions and temperaments. For safety and regulatory reasons, the device is fitted with a non-electrical bark stimulation that vibrates or prompts the pet prior to stimulation. This feature reduces unnecessary barks and false alarm.
The device designed with a Distinctive Bark Recognition that distinguishes a dog barking from its enveloping surrounding houses. The adjustable collar can fit varying dog sizes from as small as 101bs.
This collar features; Bottom of Form
- Corrections and configurations up to 7 levels
- 6 levels of intensity to accommodate varying dispositions
- Lithium Polymer battery with 2-hour quick charge
- Distinctive Bark Recognition
- Non-electrical bark stimulation
- Vibration warning before stimulation
- Collar adjustments to fit dogs as small as 10lbs
- Its adjustable collar fits all sizes of dogs
- The 7 levels of correction are suitable for various dispositions
- Correction level can be set to ‘vibrate only’ at the learning stage
- There is a vibration warning before actual correction
- The battery is fast and easy to charge (in 2 hours)
- The excess adjustable collar strap looks sloppy with a small dog
- Even the lowest correction/stimulation level can be a problem to a small dog
- Battery life is short (4 days) compared to other products in this category
Summary: This product is built with different dispositions of dogs in mind. Adjustments can be made with the 7 level options this device has provided to fit each dog. The vibration warning comes handy. This is very humane especially with various animal associations condemning the use of these devices on pets. Adjustable collars accommodate all dog sizes while the battery charges faster though there is a need to improve on general battery life.
The SBC-10R automatically adjusts and customizes the type of bark control and training routine that works best for the pet. Aside from the 10 static stimulation levels for bark control, the device also has 3 selectable training modes; Temperament Learning, Progressive Correction, and User-Selected Correction modes. The Perfect Bark technology comes with sound and vibration sensors that ensure that barks that come from only the pet wearing the device trigger correction.
The device has incredible battery capabilities. With 4 hours of charging, the NiMH batteries can last for between 3-6 months depending on usage. This bark collar is waterproof and can be submerged in water up to 25 feet. Built rugged, it can withstand any weather. However, this device is built to only fit dogs that are 8 pounds and larger with 6-24 inches neck sizes.
Popularly known as SBC-10R, the brand features;
- Automatic static stimulation adjustments up to 10 levels
- 3 selectable training modes
- Built-in Perfect Bark sound and vibration sensors
- For dogs, not less than 8 pounds with neck sizes 6-28 inches
- Water-resistance with submersion up to 25 meters
- 3-6 months battery life per charge with NiMH rechargeable batteries
- The device has 10 levels of automatic static stimulations for correction
- It has 3 selectable training modes including User-Selected
- Perfect Bark sound and vibration sensors limit correction to barks from the pet wearing the device
- Incredible battery life 3-6 months in just one charge
- With water resistance with submersion capabilities
- Built for selected dog sizes; 8 pounds and larger
- The battery takes too long (4 whole hours) to charge
Summary: With 3 training modes and 10 correction levels, this product is built with expert training capabilities. While the Perfect Bark sensors limit corrections to a dog wearing the device, it’s water resistance and submersion capabilities ensure the device survives harsh weather. Also, the battery can last for up to 6 months with just one charge. However, there’s need to make this device for all sizes of dogs.
The Garmin BarkLimiter which has Tri-Tronics® technology for dogs training is believed according to some reviews to be the world’s first electronic bark device for correction. It has 7 levels of alternate correction modes programmed to either vibration or manual. Fitted with the Bark Odometer, the effectiveness of the device is measured by counting the incidences of barks which helps to reduce over-correction and false alarm. With bark correction powered by Auto-Rise, the device begins correction from the lowest level and increases gradually till unwanted barking is contained.
The device has contact points made from integrated steel (stainless) which works in all coating thickness and dog breeds. Compact and light-weight in nature, the device comes with a CR2 replaceable battery that can be used within 10 months. It comes ready-to-use with no set-up required therefore it is compact and easy-to-use.
Similar to the Garmin Delta Sport Dog Training Collar and Bark Limiter, earlier reviewed, this device comes with these distinctive features;
- Automatic bark correction powered by Auto-Rise
- 7 levels of alternate correction modes
- Built-in Bark Odometer
- Integrated steel (stainless) contact points
- Replaceable batteries
- 7 levels of correction modes to select from
- Built-in Odometer to measure device effectiveness
- Long-lasting batteries though replaceable
- Comes ready-to-use. No hassles of set-up
- Auto-Rise technology ensures pets are corrected at their pace, gradually
- Replacing batteries will be expensive in the long run. Rechargeable batteries would be better
- Lack of options for the contact points (only small available) to accommodate all dog coats
- Not very effective on dogs with long hair
Summary: This device has a few distinctive features from the others. Aside from its ready-to-use feature, the device’s 7 correction modes could be programmed manually or automatically. The Odometer measures its effectiveness while the Auto-Rise ensures gradual correction from least until purpose is achieved. Battery life is long-lasting though user-replaceable and contact point is more effective with dogs that have short hairs.
This is one of our favorites, as you have the full features of a 2 dog training system, plus a built-in no bark feature. This is just perfect for people who have a dog the love but is not only hard to train but also loves to bark incessantly. The Aetertek AT-918C 2-Dog Training System comes with an auto no-bark function built in and is perfect for dogs that are 6 months or older, and weigh in at 15 to 150 pounds. As you can see, it is not only multi-functional but can also handle a nice size differentiation. Features include multi-functional modes: Warning beep tone, vibration, plus 9 levels of static shock intensity.
The range of the Aetertek AT-918C is 550 meters and comes with a carrying case and rechargeable receiver. It is important to note the range, as it is not as wide as its competitors, which means it is probably suitable for smaller outdoor areas and for use indoors. The transmitter is ergonomically designed to comfortably fit in your palm, and easy to use, with rubberized buttons, durable rubber-coated antenna, and rechargeable battery.
The collar itself is waterproof and has an adjustable TPU strap. The TPU collar is strong, tough and easy to clean. It is designed to be cut to fit the dog’s neck size. The receiver is lightweight and will rest comfortably on your dog’s neck. The system comes complete with transmitter, antenna, two receivers, 4 correction prongs, 2 collar straps, charger, 2 test bulbs, 1 lanyard, easy to understand user manual, durable textile carrying tote, and is USA and EU certified. This system has a one year, unconditional manufacturers warranty.
- 4 control functions
- Waterproof and rechargeable
- Range extends up to 550 meters
- Trains two dogs at one time
- 9 levels of intensity
- Built in no-bark feature
- Waterproof and rechargeable
- Ability to train 2 dogs at once
- Excellent customer service and help line
- 4 functions with 9 levels of intensity
- Cannot charge 2 receivers at once
- The range may not be wide enough for some users
Summary: The Aetertek Dog Pet Barking Electronic Shock Training Collar, model 918C is an easy to use training device. You can choose between 3 options: Beep, vibrate, or shock. This is a two dog training system which uses electromagnetic induction switch technology with a range of 550 meters. The collars are waterproof and rechargeable. We find this a great product for individuals who want a nice, well rounded training device that can also handle more than one dog. Excellent product.
If you have the perfectly behaved dog, one that listens, loves and enjoys life, but is big on barking, then we think you’ll love this PetSafe Elite No-Bark Dog Collar. This model is perfectly suited for little dogs, that have a habit of yapping at shadows. The PetSafe Elite Collar works with dogs up to 55 pounds, with a neck size of 22 inches. This is collar is specifically designed to lessen your pets barking by using 10 adjustable levels of static stimulation.
The issue with many anti-bark dog collars is the fact that the collar can shock your dog after being stimulated by other environmental noises. However, with the PetSafe Elite, there is no worry that this will occur. The patented Perfect Bark detection system uses vibration and sound technology so only your dogs barking is sensed. This means that the collar will not go off if a neighboring dog barks or other environmental noises occur, such as firecrackers, car horns or general neighborhood noise.
A rather nice feature of this collar is its automatic incremental method. This means that the PetSafe Elite will automatically start off at the lowest level, and gradually advance until the barking stops. For those of you concerned with any adverse effects, this collar has an automatic safety shut off which goes into effect after 80 seconds. Weather resistant and waterproof, this collar uses PetSafe RFA-188 batteries. PetSafe realizes you may have some concerns and has customer care specialists available six days a week.
- Automatic safety shutoff after 80 seconds
- Waterproof up to 5 feet
- For dogs up to 55 pounds, neck 22 inches
- Perfect Bark detection
- 10 levels of static stimulation
- Easy to use
- No programming required
- Safe and consistent
- Stops nuisance barking
- The collar may burn the dog’s skin
- Replacement batteries are expensive
Summary: The PetSafe Elite Dog Bark Collar works to curb your dogs excess barking in a safe way using static correction. There are 10 adjustable levels of static correction. The patented Perfect Bark sound and vibration sensors make sure all environmental sounds are ignored, except for your dogs own bark. Automatic safety shut off occurs after 80 seconds and the unit is waterproof. Designed for dogs up to 55 pounds with a maximum neck circumference of 22 inches.
Dogtra YS500 Water Proof Bark Collar is an improved version of the YS300 model with a built-in sensor that only comes on when the pet wearing the device barks and produces a vibration from its vocal cord. It is designed for large and medium breeds of dogs with the same reliable components and capabilities of other brand models. It has 7 correction intensity levels from the least to the most depending on the desired outcome.
This model possesses a convenient function dial that controls power and the 7 correction intensity levels. Weighing only 7.5 ounces, the device comes with long-lasting rechargeable battery and has a standard LED battery life indicator. Dogtra YS500 is waterproof making training in wet weather conditions or even under the rain a possibility.
An upgrade from the YS300 model, this device comes with the following features;
- The built-in sensor that activates from dogs vocal cord vibration
- Function control for the 7 levels of correction modes
- Standard LED battery indicator
- Suitable for medium and large breeds
- A built-in sensor that activates device only from dogs vocal cord vibration
- It has modes for levels of correction up to 7
- LED indicator to warn low batteries
- Long lasting rechargeable batteries
- Made for only medium and large breeds of dogs
Summary: This version of the YS model is an improvement of the YS300 with voice activation sensor built-in. It has 7 intensity correction levels and the function control for power and correction level is very convenient. Good battery life which rechargeable too. It has a LED indicator to warn low battery and is waterproof though suitable for a large and medium breed of dogs only.
Benefits of Dog Bark Collars
Bark collars can be beneficial in the following ways;
Minimizes Unwanted Barking- Unwanted barking can be greatly minimized by the use of the bark collar as the collar delivers a vibration, sound, shock or spray once it senses any sound from the dog’s vocal cord. This reduces the incidence of noise or false alarm through unnecessary barking.
Restricts Movement- When used with buried perimeter wiring, which is commonly known as an invisible or underground fence, bark collar prevents dogs from wandering away from specific; define property area without the erection of physical fences. Indoors, dogs could be prevented from entering specific rooms or living areas of the house.
Prevents and Protects from Attacks- Bark collars prevent dog’s unwarranted attacks on persons or other animals and also protects the dog from getting close to dangerous animals that may hurt them e.g. snakes.
Promotes Training for Specific Purposes- As an effective training tool and depending on the specific training needs of the dog, bark collars have the capabilities of turning an aggressive or timid dog to specific use ranging from seeing-eye dog to hunting dog, sled dog or even dog used for law enforcement.
Modifies Behavior – Frequent use of bark collars ultimately teaches the dog what not to do through physical discomfort or even pains. This as a form of punishment or correction suppresses the dog’s unwanted behavior thereby modifying the same.
Things to Consider when Buying a Bark Collar
Getting the best dog bark collar most times depends on what will be achieved since there’s no “one-type-fits-all” collar. However, in general, the following things should be considered when choosing a bark collar for your dog;
Physical Features: Considering the dog’s physical features when shopping for a bark collar is important. Here the dog’s size and age comes into mind. Always ensure the collar is a good match for your dog.
Comfort: While choosing a collar for a dog, its best realized that no collar will work except the dog uses it. Therefore it is important to choose a collar that is most comfortable and least likely to irritate the dog.
Temperament in Mind: Dogs are unique and therefore no two dogs will respond the same way to stimuli. Bark Collar should be selected with the dog’s temperament in mind. If a dog’s disposition is calm and restrained, it should not wear a collar with the same restrictive and punitive capabilities as a more aggressive and vicious dog.
Environmental Factors: Scan the environment to ensure the type of collar for the dog would not be a nuisance to others. Remember a collar that emits ultrasound may affect a neighbor’s pet depending on how close the homes are.
Expand your Search: Do not limit the search for a suitable collar to local stores around the vicinity. Product options in local pet stores are always limited as they tend to promote specific brands and the prices are higher to improve profit. In this situation, online search becomes a better alternative to get more products and price options.
Types of Bark Collars
There are several types of Bark Collars available in the market with most of them electronically operated since they are battery-powered. However, others are categorized by the functions they perform or how they perform them. Notable categories are;
1. The Pulse Style Collars- Delivers a mild electrical shock to the pet wearing it when it detects either barking sound or vocal cord vibration. Mostly referred to as ‘shock collar’, the reaction by this collar begins with a mild one and increases upon continued barking. Devices available have remote functions that allow the level setting and control. Reviews and tests have shown that the pulse or ‘shock’ bark collars are the most effective type.
2. Vibration Style Collar- Begins to vibrate when barking is detected as a warning or deterrent not necessarily as a punishment. The intensity of the vibration can be regulated much like the vibration from a cell phone. The effectiveness of this type of collar has been debated since it tends to work better with a breed with short hairs where contact points are closer to the pet’s skin.
3. Ultrasonic Style Collar- Uses high frequency wave to deliver high-pitched uncomfortable sound to the dog’s hearing as a means of reducing unwanted barking. This sound is not usually audible to humans and could be adjusted to reduce collar’s response to every barking sound in the vicinity. However, dogs get used to and learn to ignore the sound, therefore, calling into question, its long-term effectiveness.
4. Citronella Style Collar- This type of device is activated just the same way as others but it sprays a light mist around the pet’s face to deter it from baking. The mist has a lingering unpleasant smell and is believed to be most effective with timid dogs as more aggressive dogs are quick to learn that with more barking, the canister of spray will be emptied giving them respite. The collar requires more maintenance than others and the cost of replacing spray canisters comes to a significant amount in the long run and adds up to the list of disadvantages.
How to Use a Bark Collar
A dog’s bark is simply to communicate its feelings; loneliness, threat, hunger, boredom, etc. however the frequency of the bark may be cause for concerns as they could disturbing, unwanted and unnecessary. Bark collars come in handy here but they must be used properly and when necessary. Here are a few tips;
Collars cannot treat fear- When dogs bark because of and fear, it is important to deal with treating the cause of the fear rather resort to the use of bark collars. There might be a genuine reason for such, it is important to calm the dog, learn the cause and handle it instead of just slamming the dog with the bark collar option at any/every bark.
Collars are temporary training tools- It is advisable to use bark collars on young dogs to train them not to bark unnecessarily. They should not be seen as permanent training tools and therefore once these aims are achieved, pet owners should see the need to revert to other forms of training
Excessive collar use can cause permanent pain and/or injuries- Using bark collars excessively on pets could lead to permanent injuries or pains. Moderate the use of these devices to enable them to achieves these aims. Remember, the goal in the first place is to change its behavior not to alter its nature.
The Final Words (Summary)
For effective use of the bark collar, the aim which is to train the dogs not to bark unnecessarily (unwanted barks and raising false alarms), and also to change its social behavior (mostly respect boundaries and space) must be made clear. However, it is advisable to do some research on the best bark collar, preferably online to get the best product for your dog and also learn how to use it properly. This is where the collar performance issue, warranty coverage, and product liability concern will be properly analyzed by previous users. This will also help if the chosen collar fits your aim and matches your dog properly.